Skip to main content

Meaning of Peace

UPEACERs in Action

UPEACE helped me to achieve what I always inspired for!

UPEACE NEWSFLASH August 2012
Link http://www.upeace.org/news/newsflash/2012/august_2012.pdf

by Shahbaz Israr Khan (Pakistan) | Gender and Peace Building Alumnus (2012)


Since my childhood I used to dream of a world where everyone could live in peace, love and harmony with no discrimination at all. My wish for a peaceful world was further strengthened when I lost one of my best friends in a bomb blast. I still remember his smile and his bright eyes. Soon, I left my profession and adopted my passion, the passion for a peaceful world. Before coming to UPEACE, my concept of peace was vague.

UPEACE provided me with an opportunity to interact with students of so many countries, to know their cultures, opinions and smiles, and to learn from the best faculty of the world. We all used to be very critical, and everyone used to give opinion. One thing I learnt from UPEACE is to respect everyone ideas and opinions.

At UPEACE I volunteered for one of the best program and communication officers of the world. I assisted UPEACE in developing proposals, in doing research and developing programs. UPEACErs form the best family where you learn, enjoy and form international relations that are life lasting and contribute both to local and international peace. Most importantly, my gender session made me realized that we should seek to eliminate existing discrimination within social systems. It also allowed me to question the dichotomies of our life and to realize the concept of subjectivity. While trying to find the meaning of peace, we should always ask the question: peace for whom? UPEACE has equipped me with gender transformative skills by which I can identify various gender discriminations in the society and at the same time work for change.

One of the main things I learnt from UPEACE was to understand that there is no one perception, there is no one truth and there is no one reality. We live in a multicultural world, where different people have different perceptions and thus our reality and understanding of the word “peace” will be different from person to person and from culture to culture. So, we need to find unity in diversity and to struggle for a world that respects, understands and give rights to everyone without any discrimination.


:) Thank you UPEACE :)




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

COVID-19 AND THE HUMANITARIAN WORLD

COVID-19 AND THE HUMANITARIAN WORLD By Shahbaz Israr Khan Covid -19 has gripped the world in pan-crisis w ith remarkable impact on world affairs and has/ will impact the humanitarian interventions across the world . In this article I hereby present humanitarian sector dilemmas related to Covid -19 situation which has impacted and will further impact the humanitarian programs across the world and need to be addressed on priority basis . Firstly, Covid -19 impact on world's economy has already started taking its toll on humanitarian budget by donor countries and decrease in contributions by individuals leading to new perceived program priorities, for instance in Africa malaria program and other diseases are highly impacted due budget cuts , re-routing of funds to Covid interventions domestically and overburdened health systems . Covid has to be prioritized but should not be on the expense of other diseases like malaria , Tuberculosis and Hiv which kill hundred thou

Peace for All

Most of the researches which study young people, present youth as a risk or in conflict paradigms. These approaches portray male youth (particularly in developing country) as potential of violence and woman as victims. Such notions highlights male more important and eventually female youth are excluded and are presented only as victims and thus less focused in policies and programs. The present research adopts feminist approach and a qualitative research methodology that studies female and male youth in peace and conflict paradigms and examines power, experiences and actions in their home culture and environment. In doing so, it captures human experiences in their own voices and identifies multiple factors based on their perceptions that can help to create a secure and healthy environment. The research unveils the discriminatory practices and gender differences that create violence against youth (particularly female youth) in cultural, social, economic and politic

Documentry, "Peace, Knowledge and Our World"